Tomah Retreat has a beautiful outside sauna. It is housed in a small hut on the property with a beautiful view of the gardens. You open the main doors and then sit inside your sauna with a glass front that looks out onto the garden. You will need to book your 60 minute sauna with Bronwen on arrival at Tomah Retreat. It is open from 9am-9pm. This is an infrared sauna rather than a steam sauna, so no water is used in the heating mechanism
Saunas' top five health benefits:
- Increases circulation - When circulation is improved, your body will reap the benefits of improved function
- Face off illnesses - Infections and virus-based illness can be effectively combated with sauna therapy
- Controls weight - Increased perspiration promotes healthy effortless weight loss
- Manage your pain - Heat therapy is proven to alleviate pain and is great for all types of muscles, bone and pain
- Detoxify your body - The intense heat of a dry sauna will coax your body to lose toxins
- And it is just so relaxing!
About the Tomah Retreat Sauna
- Each room receives one FREE 60 minute sauna per night booking. Yippee!
- Maximum 2 people in sauna.
- This is a 2-person far infrared sauna which means that it works using electricity and is a dry sauna. It heats your body rather than the cabin air (which is of secondary importance).
- The sauna is built from Canadian hemlock which is harvested from the sustainable forests of western North America and has become the most practical and popular choices of timber in modern-day sauna cabin construction. It is non-allergenic, non-toxic wood. You are required to place a towel on the seat before sitting on it (towels are provided at the sauna).
- The Tomah Retreat sauna has 2 different types of infrared heating methods: Ceramic Tubes and Carbon Plates. Ceramic tubes are perfect for those suffering from pain as it is great for spot treatment as ceramic heat is the most intense next to the surface element this allows for concentrating on specific areas. There are seven Ceramic rods plus two Carbon Panels in this sauna.
- Inside the sauna you will have a reading light, a USB connection, bluetooth, Aux connection, internal speakers and an interior light. So feel free to bring your own music. The radio is set to classical FM - please do not change the channel.
- Chromotherapy (light therapy) is also available, just tap the button and a top light gradually changes colour, stimulating different aspects of the body, mind and spirit as you sit and enjoy your sauna.
- There is also an air ioniser which you can click on to keep the air clean and fresh.
- From the sauna seat you will look out through glass panels onto a peaceful section of the Tomah Retreat garden.
How to Use
- You can wear the dressing gown provided in the sauna (please do not use it elsewhere outside). Please do not wear the room slippers outside your room or to the sauna.
- Clothes must be worn in the sauna such as an oversized T-shirt and shorts, underear or a sarong for example. This is a public sauna. There is a hook provided to hang your clothes or dressing gown on.
- Towels are provided at the sauna, so leave the room towels in your room.
- Place a sauna towel on the seat.
- You can heat up with the sauna or enter once it is already hot. Beginners may only wish to stay in the sauna for 15 minutes at top heat, experienced people may stay up to 30 minutes or longer. If you feel light-headed, queasy, or get a headache then it is best to leave the sauna.
- It is also best to wait till you have digested your meal before entering.
- No young children are allowed in the sauna. It is for ages 12 years and up.
- NO ALCOHOL is to be consumed before or during the sauna. It will dehydrate you.
- Have a glass of water before you enter the sauna. Water is provided at the sauna. Take some water with you into the sauna as well. This is the most important “how to take a sauna” step! It’s important to stay hydrated, as your body will sweat.
- Do not bring plastic into the sauna.
PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE HEAT CONTROL PANEL
- Optimum infrared sauna temperature is up to 60 degrees.
- Body temperature should not be allowed to rise above 38.8 degrees. Diabetics and those with heart conditions should check with their doctor first before using.
- Do not use skin lotions or oils during your sauna session as this will inhibit sweating and clog up pores. You are actually hydrating your skin, naturally, from the inside to the outside during your far infrared sauna session.
- Light towels are provided to sit on. Please leave them in the “used towels” basket after use. Wipe yourself down once you start sweating. Remember, your body will be sending out toxins, including heavy metals, with your sweat, and we don’t want the sauna bench or floor to absorb these.
- And finally, relax, reflect, stretch, listen to music, read a book, or just chat.
- You can also massage or rub your body to stimulate toxin release.
- Spend 15-45 minutes in sauna.
- The sauna will automatically turn off after 60 minutes. Please turn off internal lights and music before leaving the sauna.
- Please place your towels in the basket for used towels and please place any used cups in bin. Leave the place as you found it so that the following guests have as much pleasure from the sauna as you.
- Naturally cool down afterwards on a chair in the garden or in your room.
- Shower off (or bathe) once back in your room and continue to stay hydrated.